Re: [NTLK] Word docs to eMate (was: eMates for sale $99 update)

From: Thaxton Beesley (thaxtron_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 04:21:00 EDT

Hi all,

I'm new to the list. Been using Newts since the 100, just started looking
for fellow newton users. Currently sporting an eMate (upgr).

I have WinNCU hooked up to 3 PC's (133mhz, 333mhz and 700mhz). They are
reliable in that order as well. I suggest that you try to use NCU from an
old PC 133-300mhz. After that the serial bus speed difference and the power
of the CPU really makes the transfers a pain. I haven't ever used that
slowdown.exe, but I can install packages on the 700 (at 9600 baud) but
nothing else. I get the same error, it quits right after the it starts to
export. It is not the document format or size, it is the bus speed
difference on modern PC's. It seems the Macs don't share our troubles. I
have an old 8500/180 Power Mac here and I have yet to use NCU on it. The GF
won't let me within 10 feet of it (she is quite protective). Err, sorry to
stray off topic.

Bottom Line. Sam, find an old PC with Win 9.x on it (Pentium 133-300).

Thaxton Beesley