Re: [NTLK] VNC Client for Newt

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 05:33:32 EDT

> From: "Darl Singh" <darl_at_xpress.net.nz>
>
> Am I dreaming, or did Steve Weyer actually say this might be becoming a
> reality?

it's basically working (I've tested with PC and Mac VNC servers). I'm still
trying to verify that a display glitch (some missing areas) was fault of
server and not client. and trying to eliminate the most obvious bugs and
performance problems, and then write at least some minimal docs -- so I'd
estimate a few days yet... I'll announce here.

it'll require NOS 2.1 -- due to use of gray scale (though I could imagine
mapping to b&w and the few standard dithered grays), and ethernet support
(though no reason dialup wouldn't work except bandwidth).

> THIS would be _my_ killer app!
> Plug in anywhere and run a virtual PC desktop! WOO-HOO!
>
> Of course - hmm, there's the text input issue..........and I _might_ have
> been dreaming........

mapping a few gestures to mouse moves (tap -> left click; move; caret ->
right click; highlight->drag). initially text just thru the soft/hard kbd
(I'd like to use char recognizer also -- just starting some experiments).

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com