Re: [NTLK] real v newton

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Sat Oct 13 2001 - 13:31:45 EDT

on 10/13/01 1:16 AM, Ed Kummel at tech_ed_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> I've upgraded my technology products and have been
> able to maintain my data in some form or another to
> keep them on my devices as I went onto the next big
> thing.

I can relate to that! I started out with a 8088 Sanyo MBC 555 (DOS box, but
not compatible with anything else that ran DOS), and migrated to a 286 ,and
then to a 8086 laptop, to a Mac Classic, to a IIvx, (and during this time I
got my first Newton) to a Duo 230, to a PB 1400, to a PB G3, and I still
have many files and and all the hundreds of names I first entered into my
first home-made database I made on my first computer, back in 88. Electronic
files can be quite persistent. :-)

> I've never lost an electronic document, (knock on
> wood).

I did lose my data, and it hurt. I lost about 6 months of work, which,
unfortunately, were six _very_ productive months. :-( Not only did my hard
drive crash, but my back up drive was dropped by my little daughter. I was
fortunate enough to have that "persistent" data on a third hard drive on
another computer and on my Newton. In fact, if it were not for my Newton, I
would have lost all my address and contact info. I still find things, three
years later, that I lost that fateful day. It's not fun. I try to backup
onto different computers, now, all important data. Redundancy, that's my
motto. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland