Re: [NTLK] Printing via Ethernet ?

From: Andy Wells (andywells_at_hotkey.net.au)
Date: Sun Oct 14 2001 - 04:31:06 EDT

>> Personally couldn't think of a better place...Sunday morning
>> lay-in ( hey don't spoil the fantasy ) reading the latest
>> digest........;-)

David > did it happen today? ;-)

No *sigh*......my eight year old son ( who's the size of your average 11/12
year old ) decided that Mum and Dad needed a wake up call.......well rather
a wake up 'bounce' when he thought he'd try trampolining onto the bed

Have to wait for a couple of weeks to try again now as I'm working out of
Hobart for 2/3 weeks.......the best laid plans

Back on track.......
>> Hhm tried that....eMate sits on 'looking for printers' but no
>> success. ( Both are connected to the Hub, BTW ) The HP L4+ has
>> an Etalk option which I've set to 'On'. The only other Etalk
>> option is 'Phase' which is set at 2 ( default ) So is this OK
>> or should it be something else ?

David > sounds ok to me. phase 2 should be correct.

Well I tried Phase = 1 and 2 ( the only options ) and still no success (
for my general knowledge what's 'Phase' acually for ?)

David >does your hub have activity lights? you should see a periodic flash
David >(mine was approximately every 2 seconds) as the newt broadcasts the
David >lookup packet.

yeah has a port and activity light. Yes it does flash every 2 seconds as the
newt queries the network.
tcpdump shows it's advertising itself as 'LaserJet 4 Plus'

looks like a better get into that netatalk HOWTO ( as well as 'Firewalling'
:-)

thanks for all your help

Andy

Andy Wells