Re: [NTLK] VNC 3.3a1 now released

From: Andy Wells (andywells_at_hotkey.net.au)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 19:53:03 EDT

Steve Weyer <weyer_at_kagi.com> wrote :
<snip>
>For those who still don't understand what that means,
>or don't have a VNC server (or access to one),
>or lack tolerance for fragmentary documentation and early release
>software, this application/version probably isn't for you...

>Send me bug reports, suggestions, praise, ...
>and of course I'll also check NewtonTalk digests periodically.

G'day Newtonites
Generally for an 'a' release I'm awfully IMPRESSED! well done Steve!

here's my experience from an upgraded eMate with a 3C589D-TP.......

succesfully installed VNC 3.3a2 and connected first time with default
settings to win9x boxes. I have since found the 'RRE' encoding and '4 gray'
options to be the faster refresh, probably due to processor speed (?)
everything else has stayed at default.
Using RRE the screen 'bleeds' in the update rather than a 'blocking' type
of refresh. How do you guys with 2xxx find this ? Anybody else tried an
eMate ? I haven't gone for a full screen yet only 240x240

Received a -48204 error once (I don't have an error code list - maybe you
Laurent ?)
 and have also on about 4 or 5 attempts gotten to the 'Endpoint:Connect'
dialog and the get a message with no number

"Communications- Sorry a problem has occured ( A communications problem has
occured, connection may have been dropped)"
Following this the only way to re-establish a connection is thru a warm
reset otherwise the message will continue to appear.

a -61001 has also appeared in the dialog bar of VNC "error: Grablink -61001"
Again a warm rest was in order.....tried the fix for a '61 off Avi's BD but
that didn't seem to do the trick ( wrong error type ? )

Also, if after a failed connection attempt - I then close VNC and then go to
power off the Newt it displays a message warning me that it is not safe to
power off unless applications connected to the Internet are closed. Most
likely cause is that the card driver is still open despite VNC connection
failing. Problem here is that the 'Disconnect' option does not make itself
available ( hey it hasn't 'connected' afterall )
Is there another way to close the card driver ? ( sorry guys I've only just
bought a card so not to sure here )

Hhmm just tried this after a successful connection/disconnect/close and
still get the same power off warning.......tried resetting the heap by
tapping in the top corner of Avi's BD and this let me power off with no
problems ( think I've answered one of my own questions :-)

In all I think I've worked out the procedures I need to follow to ensure
successful sustained connection. Now to practice working the mouse from my
newt!

hope this has been of some help

cheers
Andy