Re: [NTLK] Help 2 Questions

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 22:10:02 EDT

>I have a MP130 and when I try to mount my 4 meg card it locks up on the
>"AstroLib" package. I tried it in the 2100 and same thing. Newt locks up.
>So, I have a back-up of the card, how do I erase it? I have a Powerbook, can
>I reformat it or erase it in there then put it back in the newt? Any
>software utilities than can do this?

There are a few reasons you might be seeing problems but I'm not sure you
need to erase the card as the first line defense.

That said, you can erase a card by having the card out of the Newt at
powerup, once the Newt boots, open the "prefs" slip, then inserting the
card while the prefs window is showing. You'll get a "erase this card?"
prompt and it will let you erase it without mounting any packages first.

BUT:

I think you could just boot the newt and card with extensions disabled, and
then delete the astrolib package. You do this by turning on the NEwt and
holding the pen part way down the left side, about 1/4" in from the edge of
the screen (and keep it there thru bootup of the Newt and the card).
You'll get some prompts. Full and more details in the FAQ at
<http://www.thisoldnewt.com>