Re: [NTLK] The MP2000 has a faster (clocked?) CPU than the MP2100?

From: Adam Warner (lists_at_consulting.net.nz)
Date: Mon Oct 22 2001 - 00:44:15 EDT

On Mon, 2001-10-22 at 12:25, Sean Luke wrote:

> > I believe that Sean has a WABA implemented benchmark test for the
> > Newton that will return some quite accurate numbers. How about it
> > Sean, you got some numbers that will either confirm or debunk this
> > information below?
>
> I can't say for sure, but my recollection is that WabaMark (which comes
> with the Waba VM source distribution if you want to try it) runs nearly
> identically on MP2Ks and MP2.1Ks.

I've found these two benchmarks here:
http://members.home.net/saweyer/waba/dev/app_index.htm

Bench0 and Bench1.

They can be downloaded from here:
http://bigweb.misty.com/weyer/waba/dev/app_pkg.sit

And are also linked to on Sean's site:
http://www.cs.gmu.edu/~sean/newton/waba/
http://www.cs.gmu.edu/~sean/newton/waba/docs/RunningWaba.html

Bench1 is interactive and is the one I'd like to try and modify (any
chance I could have the source Steve?).

At the moment the Bench1 loop test is only 200ms. I'd like to increase
it to around 2 minutes (if some MP2000's are 3.6% faster it should
execute this loop around 4 seconds quicker).

By the way Sean I'm impressed by the applications you and Steve have
ported. Asteroids and PacMan are quite responsive (but still a little
too sluggish for my taste--but regardless it's an impressive technology
demonstration). Since the Newton is an end-of-line platform, developing
programs and skills that can be carried over to future platforms is a
great idea.

I've now got first-hand experience of the 160x160 display size of
Palm-sized Waba applications. On a 480x320 Newton display they are
miniscule. A 2x zoom at 320x320 would actually be possible! (so long as
the window border could be eliminated)

Regards,
Adam