Re: [NTLK] Any update on that device?

From: Stainless Steel Rat (ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 16:14:46 EDT

* SlashDevNull <SlashDevNull_at_mac.com> on Tue, 23 Oct 2001
| This is the first MP3 player that is very small and yet holds a ton of
| music.

There is a player out there with a ~20GB disk and is only about 25% bigger
than the iPod. I forget the name off-hand, sorry. 5GB isn't a "ton" of
music. In fact, 5GB is less than half of my collection as 128kbps MP3
which is why I replaced the 6GB disk in my Jukebox.

| It also functions as a VERY fast hard drive.

There are less expensive ways of getting more and faster portable data
storage.

| It charges from the firewire connection so you don't need to carry
| another cable or adapter. The interface is the ABSOLUTE best out there
| and you are able to bounce around to find and sort songs quickly.

Big deal. Really. Big, fat, hairy deal. 99% of the time you won't be
using the UI on a portable music player. In fact, that is one of the last
things that an audiophile considers, and given iPod's street price it is an
audiophile toy.

| And your laptop is NOT just the most expensive wallwart in the world. It
| now happens to do another thing in addition to everything else.

When I'm sleeping or playing something on one of my game consoles or
watching a movie on a big screen TV set or doing anything other than using
the host it is just a wall wart, one that sucks many times the power
necessary just to charge the iPod. It is also a very not portable wart.

| And why should Apple create items to be used my Windows users. [...]

Because Apple's market for the iPod would be ten to twenty times larger
that way. Because people who are not already Macintosh owners are not
going to buy into iPod. iPod will fail due to poor sales because millions
(or at least hundreds of thousands) of potential buyers will not buy one
because they do not already own an expensive Mac, because for them a $400
iPod will cost them an additional $800 minimum for an iMac.

| Did you really expect another Newton? Have you seen the state of
| handhelds now? ALL of them are losing money hand over fist and even Jobs
| has said that handhelds is NOT the place to be right now.

No, I expected something nifty. Despite my personal hatred of Steve Jobs,
I expect better from Apple. The iMac, the iBook, the TiBook, the G4 Cube,
the Cinema Display. Nifty stuff that, whether it lives or dies is still
nifty.

iPod is not nifty.

--
Rat <ratinox_at_peorth.gweep.net>    \ Do not use Happy Fun Ball on concrete.
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \