Re: [NTLK] "iPod"

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 01:54:31 EDT

You know, I wondered about that statement that Jobs
made when he said, "download an entire cd onto the
iPod in under 10 seconds"
That doesn't really ring true and reeks of hype. I've
been ripping CDs now for the last 3 months on a fast
machine with a fast CD ROM, and the best I can get for
ripping CDs to MP3 format is 15-20 minutes depending
on the CD length. An average CD gives me 30mbs of
music. USB is plenty fast for that.
I think that Jobs needs to step back from his guilded
platform above all of us mortals and re-evaluate what
he says. Some people may take him literally!
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Bill Davis <newton_at_ecity.net> wrote:

> >huh?!? I don't get it...I don't see the big deal.
> >First, it's only 5gb of storage. (it's a gig
> smaller
> >than the smallest competitor) And I doubt that you
> can
> >use the "firewire hard drive" to transfer mp3s,
> most
> >do not...
> >Personally, if it doesn't come in on a price point
> >below $350, then it's not worth it...
> >see:
>
>http://www.epinions.com/_Archos_Jukebox_HD_MP3__616519
> >Ed
> >web/gadget guru
>
> Followup:
>
> I took a close look at the specs for the Archos
> units you pointed out
> above. It was one I was considering as a
> possibility, in fact.
>
> They are MUCH larger and heavier and slower than the
> iPod.
>
> Archos: 4.5" x 3.2" x 1.3", 12.03oz, USB
>
> iPod: 4.02" x 2.42" x 0.78", 6.5 oz, Fireware (a
> half-inch shorter in
> EVERY direction and about half the weight, and far
> faster to transfer
> data, plus the unit charges when plugged into your
> Mac too!)
<snip>

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...