Re: [NTLK] iDisappointed

From: Raj Patel (rpatel_at_accelrys.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 05:53:05 EDT

Hi,
I have to admit to being massively underwhelmed by the iPod.

In fact I'm sure the margins on this are going to be terrible
for Apple and when they dump it (as they eventually will
because its not really part of the core business) people are
going to be pretty massively ticked off. Hell, the Cube was
a real Mac and they canned that how long can the iPod last in
such a competitive market ?

I was hoping they were going to (in no order)

1. license the PalmOS for a handheld device which would
    include some airport, mp3, video capability
2. re-launch the Newt in a Palm or subnotebook
    form factor which would include some airport,
    mp3, video capability
3 a PDA / subnotebook (like a Dell L400 or NEC Lifebook)
    with some form of embedded OS9 (but flash upgradable)
    and the ability to run Mac apps with Newt style HWR

I guess Apple are always going to face a problem of high
R&D costs vs. how much of a premium are people willing
to pay for Apple gear vs. the saturated market place

So the only way to make $$$ would be with something truly
innovative (Mac hardware & OS)

Oh well maybe one day...

Raj.