Re: [NTLK] Any update on that device?

From: Bill davis newton (newton_at_mail.ecity.net)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 14:51:28 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: SlashDevNull <SlashDevNull_at_mac.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 14:17:35 -0400
Subject: Re: [NTLK] Any update on that device?

> > iPod appears to me to be (and iTunes is) designed for mere mortals,
> > unlike most PC's and most MP3 players I've seen. Not to mention
> most
> > VCRs (which are getting better, but my Mom still has me come over
> > program her VCR for her)
>
> VCR? Get her a Tivo. Well worth the money.

Good point, I just saw one of those for the first time myself a few
weeks ago. Nifty. (I know they've been around a while, but it seems to
me that only now is the capacity and price actually coming into a
useful range.)

She's not much into electronics and computers and gadgets though, so
it'd probably be a hard sell. She was happy with an old Mac IIci made
in 1987 although I'm now letting her use a spare PowerBook G3 I
recently picked up cheap as a backup for mine (I'm waiting on Apple to
either put the bay drives back in the TiBook, make an expansion chassi
or put a CD/DVD/DVD-R/CD-RW unit in the TiBook before I upgrade
again). But I'd probably get her a Dish Network PVR (a similar product
to the Tivo that uses the program guide that comes from the dish,
without the monthly rather large fee that Tivo charges.)

 - Bill