Re: [NTLK] Newton Press & Icons

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 21:33:53 EDT

> From: Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net>
>
> On Sat, 27 Oct 2001, Stephanie Maks wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the tips. I looked into the SBM package, but it put the changed
>> icon in a separate soup, without altering the actual file, so if the package
>> was exported it'd have it's original icon still intact.
>>
>> Does anyone know, if I use a hex-editor on the .pkg file, is there somewhere
>> in there where the icon is stored that a new one could be stripped in? Or
>> is that just too tricky to touch?

> One would think it would have been documented in the Newton Formats
> document:
>
> http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/Newton_Development/tech_info/documentation/acro
> bat/format11.pdf
>
> ...but it isn't. Actually... the Waba tools for creating Newton packages
> would have code for manipulating icons in them...

the Waba tools add an icon (along with other graphics and Java .class files)
but since they use a standard application .pkg template, they either rewrite
some information in known locations, or properly add things to end of .pkg
and update the appropriate objects and references.

(trying to patch an icon in random packages would be messy/tedious)

another approach is to write a tiny application or extension (basically just
an InstallScript) that just patches how the application appears in Extras
rather than modify the app's pkg directly, using:
  call kAddExtraIconFunc with (iconType,paramFrame,pkgName, store);

--
Steve