Re: [NTLK] eMate wake up problem

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 22:07:37 EST

on 28/10/01 15:30, Jonathan A. Rodriguez at cameraboy9_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> Heyo;
>
> Yes, I'm having a similar problem;
>
> If I shut off my eMate for a few minutes, it'll come back up no problem. If I
> leave it off for any more than an hour, it won't boot up, and I have to hit
> the
> reset button. Then it will start up, and ask me to recallibrate the pen,
> etcetera. Then it will remind me of all of my reminders for the last month
> (quite annoying; popup after popup after popup), then claim that it's July
> 1st,
> 1996. I have to reset most of my prefferences.
>
> On top of that, a popup keeps rapidly appearing that says: "Sorry, an error
> occured", making a "binging" noise LOUDLY, EVEN THOUGH the colume is _all the
> way down_. I use my emate in class; I have the volume down because the room is
> quiet except for the lecturing teacher. So you can imagine: "BING! BING! BING!
> BING! BING! BING! BING!" I have no choice but to close it and quickly shove it
> in my back pack, where it continues to "BING" for about a minute, now muffled
> by the contents of my backpack.
>
> I can't seem to get more than an hour or two use out of it before the battery
> is down in the 20's (that's WITH the backlight OFF)... I bought this thing in
> July, and it was working perfectly. I treat all of my electronics like gold,
> but for some reason, it's been quickly deteriorating.
>
> Maybe there's a common problem between my eMate and this gentleman's... Any
> ideas anyone? Would a brand new battery (or, rather rechargeable AA cells
> wrapped in duct tape) fix things? Or chould I start saving up for a new iBook
> (which seems smaller anyway?) Please help... thanks so much in advance. I'd
> really hate to give her up.

The rechargeable battery is definitely going its last miles. You will have
to replace it soon. That might be the problem of the other poster, but I'm
not sure.

-Laurent.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe, trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -Rich Cook