Re: [NTLK] An interesting and under-reported fact

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2001 - 10:45:08 EST

>Setting an "atmosphere" is fine, but the ad really ALSO needs to inform
>about the product. For a while, here in the States, there was a commercial
>running from some drug company. I forget what it was, but it was all
>atmosphere and at the end was the "Ask YOUR doctor about XYZ." And my
>family bursts out laughing at almost the same time. They never said what
>the drug treated!

Believe it or not, in drug-related ads, that WAS illegal until recently.
Beats me the way they decided on that rule; how many ointments etc get to
say (way more than I want to know!) what they are for, but no, a drug
company pushing their antihistimine pill had to keep the actual purpose of
the drug under wraps- sure, that makes sense.

If you search a little there are likely news articles about the rule change
somewhere. About 1.5 years ago maybe.