Re: [NTLK] Checking in / iPod Comments...

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 11:13:20 EST

on 30-10-2001 9:07, Marco Mailand at Newton2k1_at_mac.com wrote:

> I know also a few of those audiophiles, which claim to hear the differences
> between an analog HiFi and a digital recording.

Though I'm eager to get rid of this subject, lets at least keep with facts.

Analogue recordings are (with whatever shortcomings they have) without any
compression.
CD's are compresses, though lots of people don't know this and the industry
denied it for ages (to get CD players fast into the mainstream, hey it
worked ;-) and the same industry now comes with DVD Audio, and the Super
Audio CD (SACD) where they have admitted in the beginning that this was a
medium without any compression.
Don't remember the exact compression used on CD's anymore, but the fact that
they can fit more information makes that these new standards come closer to
the original recording (in other words, good analogue recording)

So apart from the fact if you hear the difference or not (I do, definitely)
please don't be fooled by al the marketing.

Robert Benschop