Re: [NTLK] Checking in / iPod Comments...

From: The Compulsive Splicer (splicer_at_paroxysm.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 15:27:45 EST

Robert Benschop wrote:

>Yes, and it will sound worse compared to the original.
>Not as bad as MP3 though.

Have you tried this?

>Got it from a local Newspaper clipping, been looking for it since and it
>seems gone, so no technical backup apart from the fact that the majority of
>people listening to SACD in blind tests easily pick it out as superior to
>CD, if everything is on a CD, than why the difference ?

That's pretty far from an indication of compression.There are a lot of
variables at play here. If the CDs and the SACDs don't have the same
mastering or recording processes, then it has nothing to do with the
format. And I would find it easy to believe that SACD encodes more data
allowing for a truer representation of sounds. Further, local newspapers
even in big cities have been known to fudge technical facts out of
ignorance more often than they get those facts right.

But OTOH, maybe I'm just a shill for the industry. =^)

Steve