Re: [NTLK] PDF

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Sat Sep 01 2001 - 18:37:05 EDT

somewhere near the temporal coordinates of 9/1/01 3:47 PM, the entity known
as Jon Glass transmitted the following from jonglass_at_usa.net:

> Can I offer a third solution? How about a web-based solution. In other
> words, you go to a web page, give the url of the PDF you want changed, and
> it will create a Newton book. Again, this one has its pros and cons, but
> this seems to be answering some of the concerns that some have for the
> desktop model (need a connection to a desktop), and for the newton-based
> model (need the extra storage space.) If someone had a pdf file on their
> computer, they could always place it on their personal web space. (Surely
> most of us have that through our ISPs) and then go and launch the web site,
> give the url, and viola, a few moments later, a book to download. Is this
> feasible?

Interesting, but for me at least, that doesn't fit my model of doing things.
For one thing, before I'd d/l a PDF to my Newt, I want to know if it's
worthwhile. So I'd be d/l-ing to my desktop and opening it for a quick look
first. Since it's already on my desktop, the solution that is most sensible
for me would be a local converter to book format. Also, articles from
online technical journals are typically URLs that aren't amenable to
forwarding to some service site, as they require a username/password combo
and are generated on the fly AFTER receiving that info.

- Eric.