[NTLK] What if...

From: Alex Enkerli (aenkerli_at_indiana.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 20:46:27 EDT

Hello to all!
I've been toying with a few thoughts of a dream PDA. As users of one
of the best PDA platform ever made, we probably all know what we
would like to see as the ultimate PDA. So here's my take on this.
Note that these features are in no given order and that they're not
necessarily realistic. Still, they're not really "out there" in the
SciFi sense and they're note really criticisms of current models.
Anyway, feel free to comment on this. Who knows, maybe we'll see our
dreams come true!

Personalized, Multi-Lingual speech Recognition
Adaptive HWR
Dual card slots
Backward compatible
Versions
        Game (card-based handheld gaming platform)
        Student (student pricing, basic PIM+notetaking)
        Musician (support for MIDI/audio functions and devices)
        Programmer (cross-platform development tools)
        Medical (shared patient info)
        Lab (connection to special devices)
        Legal (shorthand, case references)
        Engineering (accurate calculator!)
        Business (updated currency rates, stock quotes)
        Client (basic connection)
        Custom (FedEx, trendy restaurants...)
Seamless database integration (FMP, 4D...)
Fast recharge
Integrated Web browser, Java, Javascript, HTTPS
Navigation (arrows, select-erase word, etc.)
Hardware buttons, alt.tap
Intelligent fast backup
Full support for common file formats (PDF, RTF, HTML, XML, MS Office)
USB peripherals
        Scanner for OCR
        Headset
        Projector
Standard development tools
Low power 1.bit mode
High screen contrast
Multiple undos
Multiple clipboards
Changeable faceplate
Integrated wireless modem /cell phone
Light and slim
Dual screens? (writing+ viewing)
Learning print/cursive
Support for multiple hierarchical categories
Desktop-readable backups
Docking/charging USB/Firewire cradle
Easy file exchange with desktop (open as disk)
Cross-platform development support (CodeWarrior, Borland...)
Cell-phone like marketing plan