Re: [NTLK] Holy crap! (formerly Re: Info-Newt.com)

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 03 2001 - 23:41:45 EDT

Just to put this in perspective.
I live in Sterling Park VA. About 4 miles from AOL's
Ashburn World Wide campus, 5 miles from WorldCom's
worldwide campus, 3 miles from Dulles airport (I can
hear planes preparing for take off on overcast
nights).
My cable company offers oneway cable. Downlink of
500kbps, uplink at 33.6kbps. Plus it ties up the phone
line while online and it is not an "always on"
situation. I am 30,000+ feet from the CO, so standard
DSL doesn't apply to me. I live in a neighborhood of
detatched single family homes that have been here
since 1960. (my house was built in 1959!) Adelphia
cable says that they will have two way cable in
October. (yeah right...I'll believe that when I see
it) I think it will be $49/month for residential
service (DHCP and probably PPOE) plus you have to
purchase basic cable (an additional $39/month, I use
satellite, so this is a charge I wouldn't be taking
advantage of) I don't know if there ISP charges or
not, but if so, then add an additional $15/month) So,
with two way cable, I would be looking at over
$100/month anyway. Sure, higher speed, but anymore
reliable? I don't know.
Additionally, if I wanted business rated cable
internet, add $20/month.
Yeah, I also looked at satellite, but that 260ms
latency was too harsh to deal with!
With DSL.net, I have 144kbps both ways. Always on, no
bandwidth constraints. (last month, I was using my
connection at home from work as a tunnel to copy over
some files I needed to install a machine I was placing
in the datacenter...all totaled, I had over
100Gigabytes of data flowing through my connection (22
days of constant data! what a trip! My router didn't
stop blinking for a second!)
DSL.net also gives me unlimited IPs (I currently have
20) Unlimited mailboxes (not needed, I run my own POP
and SMTP) and a guaranteed 99.9% uptime (I have the
business class connectivity) I run several websites
from two servers, Microsoft Exchange and Post.Office
from two other servers, 4 connected workstations
(including my Newton) and I'm colocating a computer
from a friend (it's doing his secondary DNS...I think
it's running Linux...never looked at it...it's not
mine, no need to!)
My computer room is a spare bedroom with a single rack
housing 5 battery backup systems, two rackmount Compaq
1500 servers (RAID 5, dual Pentium IIs, 512mb RAM),
Compaq 1850, two home built towers. Two Dells sit in
other rooms of the house as well as my laptop and my
Newt. I am running a wireless ethernet and enjoy
working from home on the back patio in my hammock!
(now, if only I can figure out how to get power
wirelessly!)
DSL.net doesn't restrict my usage nor my bandwidth nor
do they try to dictate to me what I can do with my
bandwidth. If I want to run a Porn server, I can...If
I want to send SPAM from my mail server, I can. They
don't care, they only provide bandwidth...they have no
concern over the content! I don't think that any other
service can say that! (not that I need it mind you...)
So, for $135/month...I think that I'm getting my value
from it! (although, I wish it was faster...)
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- "Eric L. Strobel" <fyzycyst_at_home.com> wrote:

> somewhere near the temporal coordinates of 9/3/01
> 3:33 PM, the entity known
> as jimthej transmitted the following from
> jimthej_at_pacbell.net:

> in the middle of
> >>>
> >> For the life of me, I can't think of where that
> could be. I thought that
> >> pretty much all the cable companies in the area
> had rolled out their
> >> internet access. I'd have to look, but I'm
> pretty sure I've had mine for
> >> 3-4 years already.
> > Wake up. There are lots of high-speed dead zones.
> I have a friend across
> > town (Bakersfield, CA) who wants high speed
> access. People less than 1/4
> > mile from him have it. His cable supplier (Cox)
> won't do it and PacBell
> > hasn't yet. Supposedly PacBell is putting fiber to
> their "B" boxes to speed
> > up telephone and internet access. When that
> happens he will come "alive" but
> > that may not be for another year or more.
>
> I was talking about in the Northern VA area. I
> realize that in many parts
> of the country that broadband hasn't materialized
> yet. But I'm quite
> surprised that there are still areas in Northern VA
> that don't at least have
> cable modem access, given that the cable companies
> have been rolling it out
> for roughly 4 years now.

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...