[NTLK] Copyright protection

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-S3 (Frank.Gruendel_at_de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 04:01:37 EDT

>I'm just going to add here that, no matter what the copyright laws say, it
>is up to the copyright holder to protect it. If they don't, or choose not
>to... (IANAL)

How are they supposed to _do_ this?? I mean, if I write a piece of
commercial or shareware software, I can put a copyright notice in the about
window telling everybody that I'm retaining the copyright and expect
people to pay for using it, but how am I supposed to actually protect my
software from infringement if I don't want any nagging screens, trial
periods,
crippled functionality etc. because I think users should be granted
sufficient
time and functionality to enable them to make up their minds in their own
good time?

<strange diffuse image forming in back of mind>

A diffuse picture of Frank, looking very dangerous, travelling all over the
world tracing this world's remaining Newton owners. Always clad in black,
wearing a black mask and holding a vicious-looking beam weapon when he
finally forces them point blank in some dark (not _that_ dark for pre-MP130
owners) alley to hand their Newtons over for inspection, searching for
illegal copies of DotClock and BetterSetter...).

</strange diffuse image forming in back of mind>

Puzzled...

Frank