Re: [NTLK] Soups and the Newton's downfall (Re: Clarity Memory Issue)

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 08:04:56 EDT

on 9/6/01 1:22 PM, Michael J. Hu=DFmann at michael_at_michael-hussmann.de wrote:

> Provided it does work -- my Visor Deluxe refused to sync a couple of
> months ago, probably because of neglect --, it works well. The Newton has
> no PIM application to sync to, but what have soups got to do with it?

I almost fear to say anything too technical, for fear of misleading, or
certainly confusing, but suffice it to say that soups are not mere
databases, which have a fixed number of fields in a fixed location, and som=
even a fixed size for each field. Newton soups are a bit more than that. Ad=
to that the whole concept of a union soup, and the poor desktop developer,
who is trying to sync this crazy setup with his program is intimidated
before he even begins. :-) You add to that that Apple never really develope=
the DILs, and kept the whole thing kind of secret, and that's the end
already. You add the fact that NCU just doesn't work reliably at all. I, fo=
one have never been consistently successful to do syncing regularly. I do
fine with Now Sync, but it's quite limited, and doesn't sync some of the
most important information--email and custom fields and notes (where a lot
of stuff goes that doesn't fit in the normal fields). With the ability to
sync only the basic, it reduced the Newton's capabilities of being an
extenion of my information gathering. I still use it, of course, but I work
within those limitations.
--=20
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland
<jonglass_at_usa.net>
<glasshaus5_at_aol.com>

"Our Constitution was made
only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the
government of any other." --John Adams