Re: [NTLK] Soups and the Newton's downfall

From: Michael J. Hußmann (michael_at_michael-hussmann.de)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 09:09:07 EDT

Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net) wrote:

> I almost fear to say anything too technical, for fear of misleading, or
> certainly confusing, but suffice it to say that soups are not mere
> databases, which have a fixed number of fields in a fixed location, and some
> even a fixed size for each field. Newton soups are a bit more than that.

Databases can be quite sophisticated, so I don't understand what you are
getting at. It might be a good idea to get more technical, I guess.

> Add to that the whole concept of a union soup, and the poor desktop
developer,
> who is trying to sync this crazy setup with his program is intimidated
> before he even begins. :-)

Union soups are mostly transparent for the developer, so where's the
problem? The OS takes care of all the low level stuff so you (as a
developer) don't have to.

> You add the fact that NCU just doesn't work reliably at all. I, for
> one have never been consistently successful to do syncing regularly.

NCU works fine for me, but then I don't sync at all. (As I said, my Visor
refuses to sync -- it did originally, so I don't know what's wrong with
my setup. As its batteries are dead and its memory gone whenever I pick
it up, I stopped bothering. It was a review unit I was allowed to keep,
so it doesn't really matter.)

> I do fine with Now Sync, but it's quite limited, and doesn't sync some of
> the most important information--email and custom fields and notes (where
> a lot of stuff goes that doesn't fit in the normal fields). With the ability
> to sync only the basic, it reduced the Newton's capabilities of being an
> extenion of my information gathering.

Yes, if you can accept the limitations of the Palm, syncing is easy. But
add the features of the Newton (including the ability to have third-party
applications add fields to, for example, the Names database), and syncing
the Palm would be a lot more complicated. It's a trade-off between power
and simplicity of syncing. Syncing the Newton isn't easy, but then it's a
powerful PIM in its own right, and one may not need to sync with a
desktop app at all.

- Michael

Michael J. Hussmann

E-mail: michael_at_michael-hussmann.de