Re: [NTLK] blasphemy and maybe some hope

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 09:12:38 EDT

at the temporal coordinates: 9/6/01 2:36 AM, the entity known as Jon Glass
at jonglass_at_usa.net conveyed the following:

> It might be remotely possible that they
> would make some new 2k model Newtons if they were sorely pressed

Which is what I was thinking about with my 'stockholder revolt' idea. Of
course, even if we all bought as much stock as what we paid for our Newts,
that would still only be a tiny fraction of Apple. But a group of
stockholders can have influence beyond the number of shares they hold, if
they start making noises about Apple not doing their duty to shareholders
(by squandering a good and valuable asset, namely the Newt technology).
Companies have been sued for that in the past. So a vocal group of
stockholders is likely to be able to find a forum for their views that a
group of customers couldn't.

> Actually, the best we could expect is some other
> replacement for the Newton that, while maybe based on the Newton's concept,
> won't be the Newton, even if it used some of its core technologies and even
> code.

Conceivably, someone could do a 'clean-room' type of development. After
all, isn't that how AMD & others developed their Intel-clone chips? That
would presume some company had a business plan that would not only make a
profit where Apple presumably couldn't (perhaps not so tough, maybe), but do
so even with the added expense of the clean-room development project. I
suspect that if a company *really* had such a business plan, Apple might
possibly listen, in hopes of getting some money from this technology.

- Eric.