Re: [NTLK] blasphemy and maybe some hope

From: Chet Johns (tcjohns_at_home.com)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 14:34:17 EDT

On 9/6/01 1:44 PM, "Daniel Smith" <djoannidi_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Makes you wonder where'd we be if Spindler was still in charge
>
> Daniel Joannidi Smith
> Student Developer

Probably using PCs I'm afraid. For all of my upset at Steve Jobs sending the
Newton to the trash heap, the man has revitalized Apple in a way no recent
CEO could have. Prior to his return to the helm we had one Performa 5200
which we used for word processing (with Word Perfect, another good program
now abandonware, but I digress). He made the Mac line attractive and
innovative. On our vacation I watched movies on my new ibook as my wife
drove. Each of my kids has a shiny iMac. I use a powerbook for work and my
wife uses her cube for her work. We can burn CDs on the go, make home movies
using imovie and play assorted games with graphics that beat anything I've
seen on a Windows PC. The Newton was ahead of its time, I have two that I'm
trying to incorporate into my work. They are still more powerful than my
palm V or my Compaq Aero which tries to run Windows CE. I believe somewhere
down the line the Newton OS will rise again, probably under a new name
(iNewt?) and will probably include the ability to play MP3 tunes and show
pictures (maybe even short movies) in color. Apple has quietly advanced the
Newton technology with the help of Disney, the US military and various
companies. The market is too cold now to release a futuristic product like
this, but I expect it will become part of the digital hub sometime in the
future. For all his faults, Apple lives on thanks to Steve.

Chet Johns
Roanoke, VA (valley of the technologically impaired)