[NTLK] Shareware/Freeware Licenses

From: John M. Powell (iwillbefreedotcom_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Sep 06 2001 - 17:53:52 EDT

> The internet is an interesting medium as it allows the human race to
> interact much more closely. Have you guys really tried to find these
> abandonware authors or are you taking the easy way out?
>
> My $0.02 for what they are worth.
>
> Philip

1) Iambic no longer sells/supports for the Newton. Numerous
people have tried.
2) HexDump no longer exists. One of the programmers, Harry
Kardash, was who I had actually spoken with a couple times when
I purchased both their programs a while back. I've tried twice
now to contact with no response. I just sent another letter a
few days ago. Searches pull up several Harry Kardash's in NJ.
My guess, same guy, several moves.
3) TeleType recently announced they will no longer sell
or support for the Newton. GPS was posted for a short bit
but pulled rather quickly when the poster was told by them
that they WERE selling it (yet you can't buy it for the Newton).
They also made Digital Gourmet, a recipie program, which
seems to have fallen off the face of the earth. I had one
person from this list contact me thinking they might have
it, but the last couple emails have gone unanswered. TeleType
themselves don't even have a copy of it. I'm in contact
with a woman there who checked a password protected folder
someone found recently - nothing about DG in that folder.
She's checking again to see if they might find it, but it's
not looking good. The last time she checked the word was
they didn't even have a copy of it themselves! Legally, they
still own the rights to that software and yet wouldn't even
be able to produce a single copy of the program.
4) Tactile. The last time I purchased some software from
them was a couple years ago. At THAT time it took me almost
a YEAR of repeated attempts to finally reach them. I had
to change newtons and now my codes don't work. I was recently
sent their current address and email from someone who HAD
been able to track them down. He was told to have me get in
contact with them and they'd take care of the codes. There
was even some talk about possibly trying to get the site
back up. I've since tried repeatedly with no response. I
just sent a letter (snail mail). I may never hear from them.

This is just me and my experiences. The stories abound.

Easy way out? Hmm... you're funny.

Look. We can sit here and debate this til we're blue in the
face. Passing software and codes back and forth to each
other is illegal. Maybe there is some argument that could be
used concerning CopyHoarding. Every single one of us that have
the TTS extensions on our Newtons are probably guilty of this
as well as I don't think Apple ever released them. Sometimes,
we get ahold of someone who allows us to post (Small Talk). I
have and will purchase when purchaseable. If I've gone out of
my way to find someone to register their software and they are
not around or don't want anything to do with me... well...

John