Re: [NTLK] Shareware/Freeware Licenses

From: McComb Keith (KMcComb_at_nycboe.net)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 14:16:35 EDT

If they are making a effort to exactly duplicate the photo, then they
end up being considered having violated the copyright on the previous
photo. If it was accidental, then the courts end up deciding that one.

Also, there needs to be a check into how long copyright lasts on
software. Everyone has been tossing around the lifetime + 75 years
figure as if it applies to everything. Last I knew, the copyright
length depended on WHAT was being copyrighted. (Not copywritten, as
I've heard a few people say...)

-------------

Okay, I just checked the SIIA (Software & Information Industry
Association), and they say this:

How long does copyright last?

The Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act, signed into law on October
27, 1998, amends the provisions concerning duration of copyright
protection. Effective immediately, the terms of copyright are generally
extended for an additional 20 years. Specific provisions are as follows:

For works created after January 1, 1978, copyright protection will
endure for the life of the author plus an additional 70 years. In the
case of a joint work, the term lasts for 70 years after the last
surviving author's death. For anonymous and pseudonymous works and works
made for hire, the term will be 95 years from the year of first
publication or 120 years from the year of creation, whichever expires
first;

For works created but not published or registered before January 1,
1978, the term endures for life of the author plus 70 years, but in no
case will expire earlier than December 31, 2002. If the work is
published before December 31, 2002, the term will not expire before
December 31, 2047;

For pre-1978 works still in their original or renewal term of copyright,
the total term is extended to 95 years from the date that copyright was
originally secured.

--------------

So yeah, what we really need to do is have some programmers start
working on redoing a number of these programs. But, for protection,
they should be written by programmers who have never worked with the
program before, so that (if it ever actually went to court) there could
be no claims of theft of code.

...or if you could heavily document your reverse engineering attempts,
you'd cover yourself then...

Once I free up some time, I intend on entering the ranks of the noble
breed of Newton Programmers. But not immediately...darn it...

Keith McComb