Re: [NTLK] Soups and the Newton's downfall (Re: Clarity Memory Issue)

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 09:37:50 EDT

on 9/7/01 4:11 AM, Richard G. DAVIS at msys1_at_charter.net wrote:

> I do strongly believe, however, the the Newton software engineering design
> was a major strength, one that is/was superior to most alternatives.
>
> Why is it that second rate stuff always seems to prevail over better stuff?

Does it "prevail?" I mean, does the Ford prevail over the BMW? Does the
roach prevail over the human? I don't like that word "prevail" personally.
In the case of the Newton, one might say that it did, but the truth is that
maybe, for many people, the Newton was overkill. For me, there is no such
thing as overkill, but I suppose that many people just want a quick and easy
access to their data. I think that another factor is familiarity. In other
words, the Newton was too unfamiliar to too many people, and that fear of
something new kept them from seriously trying it. Another factor that added
to it was its price. If it were cheaper, then people might have overcome
their fear, and taken a risk. I think the Palm broke that fear/price
barrier. It wasn't do to second-ratedness (sic?) but to those important
points. BTW, I've been looking at the Handera, not to buy, but to see what
the noise is about. It is very, very nice, and a lot of good industrial
design. One lack--no hwr. I can't stand grafitti, and could never get
accustomed to the limits of such a system... That's my break point. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." --John Adams