Re: [NTLK] More on law

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 14:41:57 EDT

at the temporal coordinates: 9/7/01 2:07 PM, the entity known as eric engle
at engleerica_at_yahoo.com conveyed the following:

> In other words what Madison or Jefferson think matters
> nil. What does matter is what the congress in 1978
> thought. And what they thought was "Lifetime of author
> plus X years" which was once 25, then 50 and now a
> whopping 75.

Thanks for clarifying that. But what those men thought matters in several
ways. One, it matters if anyone ever figures out a way to argue the
existing law is unconstitutional, as one thing the Supreme Court considers
is what the original intent of the wording in the Constitution was. Two, it
can be potentially persuasive if one tries to get the law changed. And
three, if I have to choose between being on the side of an idiotic law or
the framers of the US Constitution, I'll choose Mr. Jefferson every time!

- Eric.