Re: [NTLK] OT: Copyrights, Abandonware and such...

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Sep 07 2001 - 15:05:21 EDT

on 9/7/01 2:51 PM, Eric L. Strobel at fyzycyst_at_home.com wrote:

> at the temporal coordinates: 9/7/01 2:34 PM, the entity known as Laurent
> Daudelin at laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com conveyed the following:
>

>> I don't know if I'm tired of not sleeping enough, but am I the only one to
>> notice that over the last few days, there's been a ton of messages to
>> argument about copyrights and what one should do regarding "abandonware".
>>
>> I'm never complaining on anything, but I found that the last few days, the
>> traffic has been getting almost out of proportion, specially with the
>> addition of those discussion messages.
>>
>> I don't want to give the idea that I want to shut anybody up, but could we
>> get back to actual topics, maybe? If somebody still has some arguments, you
>> are welcomed to send them, privately, to the concerned parties and I'm sure
>> they will reply accordingly ;-)
>>
>> Thanks all!
>>
>> -Laurent.
>
> Given that more and more Newt s/w is falling into the abandonware category,
> this debate will have to occur *someday*, so why not now? I'd argue that,
> given the increasing level of interest on this list in the topic of
> 'abandonware' over the last few months, it is actually quite 'on topic'.

The problem I see is that even after a few dozens messages, nobody seem to
have the last, decisive, definitive word on that, so I can't see how this
will resolve to something.

-Laurent.

bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe, trying to produce
bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
-Rich Cook