Re: [NTLK] Newton OS Reprise?

From: Erik Karlberg (erik_at_karlberg.org)
Date: Sun Sep 09 2001 - 16:26:47 EDT

On Sun, 2001-09-09 at 21:26, Don Fisher wrote:

> Rather than focusing on porting the Newton OS to another platform (since
> nobody has the source to begin with) has anyone thought about building a UI
> on top of another OS? For example, Microsoft has split the OS (Windows CE)
> from the UI, (Pocket PC 2002). A Newton-style UI could be feasible on a
> Windows CE platform. The HWR from Calligrapher is excellent, though I find
> the gestures to be somewhat awkward compared to the Newt. Perhaps they
> would be willing to provide a modified set of gestures if someone was
> interested.

We have a quite good opurtunity to get something like this going with
the efforts at http://www.handhelds.org.

Personaly, my wish is to get something similar in function to the
NewtonOS running on my iPAQ some day.

(bought an ipaq just to install Familiar Linux on it)

> I know I'd be willing to pay $100-150 for a Newton UI sitting on an WinCE
> device.

If more people think like you, perhaps there is even economy to such
project :)

Erik