Re: [NTLK] Temporary suspension of e-mail

From: Jim Johnson (jwj_at_llbcorp.com)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 10:17:21 EDT

Rich,
Many of the initial postings were, as you suggest, expressions of
compassion, anger, and fear -- and several of these were from list members
outside the U.S. I appreciate these: it give us a sense of connectedness,
and it's one of those times when I feel the 'net is something more than just
another advertising medium.

But, I think what Jon is retreating from (and I agree) is the spawning of
threads like "How do we stop terrorism," "What history teaches us," and "The
[current/previous] administration has the [right/wrong] solution." (Let's
see... in recent postings we've gotten discussions of: Bush and Clinton
administrations, NATO, Nazis, Basque separatists, Israel, Afghanistan, LA
drive-by shootings, Saddam, ....) There are plenty of other forums for these
debates.

In other off-topic news: The current (September 2001) issue of Pen Computing
has the following blurb in its "Pen News" section:
"Though discontinued years ago, Newton Message Pads can still be seen
milling around PC Expo. With a card reader strapped on their backs, these
120's collect customer data for exhibitors. Makes you wonder..."