Re: [NTLK] Deepest sympathy for the assassinated

From: Paul Nuernberger (pen1_at_spiff.net)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 21:59:40 EDT

First, my wife and I both have friends who are MIA in NY, and I am as yet
unable to account for three friends who worked in the Pentagon. The balance
of my comments are to be found inline.

> From: Sushi <Sushi_at_ragingbull.com>
>
> A few of comments:
>
> - 1st: Until all the facts are out, don't assume everything was done
(snip)
> - 2nd: Assume for a moment that it was only knives that were used. Did
> the terrorists smuggle them on board? Was it a failure of security? Or
(snip)

Actually, on American domestic flights, it is permitted to carry a knife
whose blade does not exceed 4" in length on ones person. You can bet that
this will no longer be allowed.

> - 3rd: Terrorists are not like you and I. They have different values
> and beliefs. You cannot stop them until you erratic them. Period. They
> will not change their ways. To believe so is only foolish rhetoric.
(snip)

"The only way to stop those willing to 'fight to the last man' is to bring
them to the point where there aren't any left with this belief."
(Attribution of quote earns bonus). History points this out time & again.

> - 4th: This is not a matter of revenge. It is a matter of survival.
> Unless we do more to combat terrorism, events such as this will continue
> to happen throughout the world. In this case, we need to make a
> statement (And I don't mean verbal) that we will not tolerate it in any
(snip)

Much like a school-yard bully, unless you confront it openly and in
strength, terrorism will continue so long as we allow it to.

> - 5th: Ever wonder why we don't pay ransoms for hostages? The reason is
> that each and every American would become a valuable target for hostage
> situations. By sticking to our policies, we have greatly reduced this
> type of event occurring to US citizens. Sometimes a policy with no
> arbitration is needed.

Well, almost. We still pay for hostages - just not publicly, or with cash.

> - 6th: Until you've been involved in the fight to combat terrorism first
> hand, more than likely you have only a cursory view of what that world
> involves. In this time of sorrow, trust the world leadership to guide us
> in the right direction.
>
> - 7th: Comments which you might find harsh or uncaring couldn't be
> farther from the truth. There are organizations that on a daily basis
> stop terrorists from consummating their attacks. This type information
> does not reach the public -- unfortunately. For if it did, I would
> almost guarantee you would have a different perspective on things.
> Remember, you cannot negotiate with terrorists.

I have several friends involved in the anti-terrorism effort & you couldn't
be more correct. If the world knew of only 10% of the events they have only
hinted at, I am positive that there would be very few calls for moderation.
Modern society, however, does not want to know about the gruesome little
details - they just want to be 'safe'.

> - 8th: Do whatever you can to assist those in need. And pray for those
> who have been victimized today by these tragic events by individuals who
> will stop at nothing.
>
> These comments are from the heart. They are not meant to attack anyone
> on the board. We have a super group of folks on this Newton board, and
> it provides a wonderful service to the Newt community. Thankfully there
> are folks out there who maintain a vigilance that allows our members from
> around the world to enjoy activities such as this.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Sushi

Paul Nuernberger