Re: [NTLK] eMate Upgrade resolution

From: b|indwo|f (blindwolf_at_cfl.rr.com)
Date: Sun Sep 16 2001 - 21:04:49 EDT

Fellow Newtonians,

This stimulated some interesting discourse. I will recap some of what I
learned.

1. I would suppose that $75-$100 would be more than fair (remember that the=
originally sold for 150 or so IIRC).

2. I think it is worth more than 75 dollars now. would go up to 125...

3. emate with the upgrade go for about $75.00 more than without but the
upgrade is worth about $125.00 right now.

4. I found this information regarding eMate upgrades from about a year ago:
=20
=80 NewerRAM's upgrade is still available at Outpost.com for about $110
including shipping. It is also available at NewtonOz Items for $103.84 plus
shipping

5. In Feb 2000, I bought a card from Microtech. It is the same as the
NewerTech part, just a different manufacturer. At that time, it cost $80. I
would be willing to pay $175 but you may find people who are willing to pay
more.

Now. All that said, and all the previous articles read. There is obviousl=
some real difference of opinions on value. And even a fool wouldn't part
with something he could sell for 200 for 75 (as previously mentioned). So =
kept with my original purchaser who paid me less than the top offer I
recieved but less than the lowest.

Interestingly I recieved many emails about the variance of upgrade v/s
regular on eBay. I watched eBay for several months to get the one I bought
with the upgrade. I payed 365. In that time, I never saw one go for less.
Some even closed 600. Now. W/O the upgrade they consistently sell for
150-250 depending on condition and minor features. So. I think that a FAI=
value for the card starts at 150, and market price indicated it may even be
worth double that (all things being equal). This seems like it would be
incentive for Newer or Microtech to make a new batch. Anyone know the
likeliehood of that?

Best Regards,
David Hutchison
b|indwo|f has no cache.