[NTLK] language learning, sound on Newton, and PowerTrans

From: Rodney Tamblyn (rodney_at_stonebow.otago.ac.nz)
Date: Tue Sep 18 2001 - 18:05:16 EDT

I've been trying to get a response from the makers of PowerTrans (dictionary and language learning program) at this URL http://www.travel-cs.com/software/index.html No reply from the support or sales email addresses, although it has only been a few days so perhaps whoever is monitoring this site is on holiday. Does anyone here know of someone I could mail directly?

Are there any other people on the list who are using their Newtons for language learning? I'd be interested in the software you are using, suggestions or tips. I can see that having the external audio input via the interconnect would be useful.

How does one go about formatting sounds on a Mac for use in the Newton? What I'd like to be able to do is have a word list on the Mac, record all the sounds, then import this into the Newton. I have a software development background so solutions that involved a little programming would be fine...

Rodney

Rodney Tamblyn
Educational Media group
Higher Education Development Centre, 75 Union Place
University of Otago, PO Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand
ph +64 3 479 7580 Fax +64 3 479 8362
http://hedc.otago.ac.nz ~ http://rodney.weblogs.com