Re: [NTLK] Disappointment

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 02:27:42 EDT

on 21-09-2001 4:42, David Watson at drnewton_at_kc.net wrote:

> For the last 3+ years, I've provided the Newton community with inexpensive
> repairs and MP2000 upgrades as a way to help support my family.

And it has been appreciated, very much, you're probably one of the places
most referred to on this list.

> I've provided quick service ( typically shipping within a couple days of
> receiving a unit ).

And a very good service too, one complaint on this list in all of those
years that you took care of swiftly AFAIR.

> Often while doing a repair I've done more than advertised ( example:
> replacing a broken unrelated part if I had a spare ) for free.

Cool

> Now I read that someone is attempting to undercut my MP2000 upgrade business
> by selling just the chips for a little less than what I charge to solder
> them in place.

Well, first of all I think that every body has the right to sell anything
for any price, I don't complain when people sell eMates for very little
money on this list, there are always people that prefer buying something
new. (I've still trying to loose the cigarette smell of the last owner in my
second hand car, I should know)
In that way I don't think it's necessarily unfair if somebody else starts to
sell the upgrade chips for very little money, the people that will buy these
might not have been one of your customers anyway, I know I'll solder stuff
myself if I can.
Moreover since this is somebody that only has one batch of the chips it
won't last either.
So apart from healthy competition (should he have made a deal with you about
the price, I don't think that's realistic) I don't think that it threatens
your customer base at all, all of the people that we have been instructing
how to replace their eMate batteries won't be up to these kind of soldering
skills for years to come, I don't even know if I could pull off this one.
(never tried)

hope this helps,

Robert Benschop