Re: [NTLK] Auto Expansion

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 00:09:12 EDT

Here's another hint.
use the expansion facility to correct your common
mispellings and the Newt's common mis-interpretations.
In my case, my lower-case "h" is sometimes
interpretated as a lower-case "n" So, words like "the"
and "there" are interpretated as "tne" and "tnere". I
just create an expansion to automatically fix this. I
have done this for the majority if my
mis-interpretated words. Plus, the Newt fixes my
dyslexic writing. Words I write as "ahve" are
translated to "have" and so forth (I also use "Perfect
Keyboard" on my windows machines to do the very same
thing...)
I have added so many of these changes to my Newt, that
I usually get 100% handwriting recognition...and this
is with no, and I do mean no modifications to my
original handwriting what-so-ever (what one
high-school english teacher claimed was an incrackable
code writing...and she made the requirement that I
type out all my homework instead of freestyle
writing...as such, my handwriting has just gotten
worse instead of better...I haven't written a letter
to friends and family free-hand in 30 years!...but my
Newt is ok with my writing!)
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Darl Singh <darl_at_ses.net.nz> wrote:
> Hi John
> I've never come across a dictionary editor -
> although there is a limit on
> the number of (built-in) expansions you can have
> (think its about 250-odd?)
> and the built-in version does Ok for browsing and
> editing those.
>
> Paul G's alt.rec is a great way of bypassing this -
> and has significantly
> superior recognition also.
>
> You can get any character except for backspace
> expanded - eg I use 'bul' to
> expand to
> <return>
> <option-8> (bullet character)
> <space>
>
> (Yeah yeah - I know I should use outline - but this
> is convenient in the
> middle of a normal note, ok? :-)
>
> To enter an expansion:
>
> -pull up the keyboard
> -hit the 'dictionary' key bottom left corner
> -type in the letter or phrase you want to expand
> ('bul' in my example above)
> -hit <Expand>
> -type the expanded text/characters (other stuff
> above)
> -hit <add>
>
> Hope this is of help: works on all my units! Please
> note: haven't tried
> entering via the external keyboard.....that may make
> a difference?
>
> -D

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...