Re: [NTLK] Ethernet Crossover Cables

From: Daniel Smith (djoannidi_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 14:25:12 EDT

Keep in mind, if you're the proud owner of an Apple PowerBook G4 (with the
slick Ti shell and megawide 15" screen) you will never need a crossover
cable.

This nifty portable Supercomputer has a fancy Ethernet port that
automagically detects and switches the connections. Hub to PowerBook? No
problem. Powerbook to G3 Desktop? Patch Cable? No problem!

<http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs
-G4/PowerBook_G4/PBG4-51.html>
This wasn't really advertised, but a brief examination of the Developer Docs
will prove this true. That, and my meticulous experiments to prove this
right with several systems when they were first released.

Just an FYI. It's really neat and I wish this was in the newer iBooks too.

--
Daniel Joannidi Smith
Student Developer

(512) 619-5459 djoannidI_at_mac.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Douglas Taylor" <finnanhaddie_at_sympatico.ca> To: <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net> Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 7:38 AM Subject: [NTLK] Ethernet Crossover Cables (was: Newton MessagePad 2100)