Re: [NTLK] Newton 2100: Internet over localtalk to mac?

From: Daniel Smith (djoannidi_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2001 - 15:09:53 EDT

AppleShareIP 6.3

Actually, it was an all-purpose AppleShare Server Software, however, it was
pretty expensive.
I don't think it will work though.

You can setup an Linux or NetBSD system to share AppleTalk via MacIP -
encapsulating the IP Sockets within AppleTalk tokens. However, it's pretty
complicated to setup this.

Oh, you might try IPNetRouter -
http://www.versiontracker.com/redir.fcgi/kind=0&db=macos&id=2216/
They can set this up. It's pretty nifty really.
.
When you run NIE - select "LocalTalk" for your connection, then enter the
relevant information for the MacIP Server, and Zone Info.

This is possible, you'll just need some software. IPNet Router is pretty
darn easy to setup, so I'd do this. AppleShare used to do this, I forget
(it's been so long) if the later variants - 6.x will handle this.

Good luck.

PS. It's been run through before, but to clarify:
--------------
Ethernet is a carrier of information. (Like train-tracks)
Serial cables are carriers of information (Like a city streets / highways)
------
AppleTalk is a Protocol, also using packets and a carrier to work properly
(Ethernet, Serial, Wireless, etc.)
Cars and Trains by AppleTalk

---
LocalTalk is a solution using Serial Cables to carry AppleTalk Packets
(AppleTalk Cars)
EtherTalk is a solution using Ethernet to carry AppleTalk Packets
(AppleTalk Trains)
-----
TCP/IP is Internet Protocol - it uses packets and a carrier to work properly
(Ethernet or Serial or WireLess, etc)
---
TCP/IP uses packets:
Ethernet - will take TCP/IP Packets (TCP/IP Trains)
MacIP - TCP/IP Packets on any AppleTalk network ( AppleTalk Trucks towing
TCP/IP Cars)

That's the best Analogy I can think of right now. It's pretty basic. I'm sure there's a couple of issues I missed. Essentially, with the AppleTalk network setup for MacIP - your Newton can indeed surf the internet.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Laurent Daudelin" <nemesys_at_cox.rr.com> To: "NewtonTalk" <newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net> Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2001 10:41 PM Subject: Re: [NTLK] Newton 2100: Internet over localtalk to mac?