Re: [NTLK] Newton scanners?

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 10:30:24 EDT

> Of course, come to think of it, if the data is sent over the serial
> line in this proprietary format, then this project has no chance of
> success. If it's only stored that way by the software, then
> perhaps there's a chance.

I think the prop. format is maybe only their way to compress the data,
because serial is not fast and compression will speed up a lot. So the
transmitted data will probably be already 'scrambled'.

> Exactly right. Just the opposite of the "fax machine as printer"
> trick.
What I miss only therefore is a sort of level converter box which would
eliminate the need to use an official phone exchange if one doesn't have
a private phone distribution. A small box which provides phone routing
w/o the need of dialling (and paying of course :-) and the 48V of the
normal phone exchanges.

Marco