Re: [NTLK] Newton scanners?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 11:33:49 EDT

On Thu, 27 Sep 2001, Marco Mailand wrote:

> > Exactly right. Just the opposite of the "fax machine as printer"
> > trick.
> What I miss only therefore is a sort of level converter box which would
> eliminate the need to use an official phone exchange if one doesn't have
> a private phone distribution. A small box which provides phone routing
> w/o the need of dialling (and paying of course :-) and the 48V of the
> normal phone exchanges.

48V? If all you need is to power a line... I once set up a crude theatre
intercom system using old phones, a spool of 4-line phone wire, and six
"D" cell batteries. That was 7.2V, and there were lines of over 200ft.
No problem. You don't need routing if it's only your modem and your fax
machine on the line... you just need to insert some power.