Re: [NTLK] Newbie Question (now Palm/Newt comparison)

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 14:36:55 EDT

> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:18:16 -0400
> From: Mark Rollins <mark_at_mrollins.com>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Newbie Question (now Palm/Newt comparison)
>

> Subject: [NTLK] Newbie Question
> From: "john_fraser_at_mac.com" <john_fraser_at_mac.com>
>
>>I just can't believe that nothing has caught on like the newton since.
> Is Apple
>>really that ahead of the game?
>
> Short answer "yes". Really.

Maybe today's PDAs are just designed to be sth. else, but not fully feature=
Computers, and most people like it like that... The sad part is, that there
is "us", thinking different about it, and being a market that is not served=
.

> Long (verbose) answer:
> Just bought a HandSpring Neo with free VisorPhone. The combo beats any
> other thing I've tried for quick, portable Web/e-mail access (Eudora
> browser supports secure connections) and carrying data in your pocket.

Cool!
Just something I would like to use my Newt for, I just have to get a proper
cellphone (thank you Motorola, that V.3690 is about the biggest
misconception of all times...).
Is there a Newt-browser supporting secure connections?

>and carrying data in your pocket.

Let me guess - you're suffering from "horror of digital-devicelessliness"
(=AE=A9and=81 Oliver Brose ;) ), just as I do.

> However, I would have never bought it without the phone come-on, because:
> - this brand-spankin'-new unit runs at a whopping 33 mHz (vs Newt's 169
> mHz), altho I've overclocked it to 47 mHz.

Does that matter? Is it a slow device?

[snip other downsides]

Reading though these downsides, I just can't buy one anymore.
I always thought the screen-size and missing real HWR to be "the" downside
of PalmOS, I had no clue that there are most essential things missing... :/

> Note, I can't speak for PocketPC (or whatever it's called this month)
> but I've played with a color Cassiopeia and a co-worker bought a 150$
> B&W iPac. Feature rich (decent handwriting recognition, MP3 player, nice
> display, etc.) but a bizarre, labrynthine, convoluted (I think you get
> my drift) interface. Heck, I think it took 5 or 6 taps to stop a running
> application.

You can't face that interface ;)
It's just as bad as Windows, unpleasant to the eye, and the lack of space
leaves you without orientation.
The HWR is at least a true one, but inferior to the Newt's. A friend of min=
has a color iPaq, it recognizes his handwriting, but refuses mine.
The whole rest is *nice*, except that most games that take advantage of the
awesome display and speed of the unit become a little difficult to play, as
you can only press one button at a time.

Speaking of games, he brought it along to the pub a few days ago, and I
asked him if I could have a little game - he looked at me, blushed, and
said: "No, I ran out energy two days ago, and I had no time yet to reinstal=
any games.."

I just installed WABA along with Asteroids, Pacman... the Newt is great for
gaming, more of this please :)

> was farmed out and not perfected, and the Newton's size. Imagine if the
> MP2000/2100 was the size of it's screen only, say with 2 stacked PC card
slots.

Heck, can't one do that? Can't one design such a case, and just transplant
the internals, maybe replacing some parts with smaller equivalents? The
whole power-compartment could be cut (1" already!) if another solution is
used for energy-supply (flat Li-Ion battery eg.).

Oliver :)

--
BTW - I have several bids on my bubble wrap - you snooze you lose!
Cardboard aint worth nuttin if it aint got bubble wrap.