Re: [NTLK] Newbie Question (now Palm/Newt comparison)

From: Alexander Schreiber (als_at_thangorodrim.de)
Date: Thu Sep 27 2001 - 17:26:06 EDT

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 08:36:55PM +0200, Oliver Brose wrote:

> Speaking of games, he brought it along to the pub a few days ago, and I
> asked him if I could have a little game - he looked at me, blushed, and
> said: "No, I ran out energy two days ago, and I had no time yet to reinstal=
> any games.."

_That_ is basically my most important (directly followed by the small
screen for the Palm and the stupid OS for the CE/PocketPC) reason to
stay clear of those little machines: how the [censored] [censored] can
anybody in his right mind start to rely on a PDA that loses its
memory when it loses power? I had my Newton loose power on me while
working with it a few times (couldn't charge it or replace batteries,
so ignored the warnings) - and the most I ever lost was the word I
just wrote, not more. I'm relying so much on my beloved MP2100 to
keep me organized (at least a _little_ bit), the idea of a PDA that
forgets its data when don't you change its batteries soon enough just
horrifies me. But then I'm used to the Newton, which has proven to
be a very reliable little machine.

> I just installed WABA along with Asteroids, Pacman... the Newt is great for
> gaming, more of this please :)
>
> > was farmed out and not perfected, and the Newton's size. Imagine if the
> > MP2000/2100 was the size of it's screen only, say with 2 stacked PC card
> slots.
>
> Heck, can't one do that? Can't one design such a case, and just transplant
> the internals, maybe replacing some parts with smaller equivalents? The
> whole power-compartment could be cut (1" already!) if another solution is
> used for energy-supply (flat Li-Ion battery eg.).

I suppose that with current technology, one could build a Newton
replacement just the size of the display, with the front being all display,
while still retaining the two PCMCIA slots. And while you're redesigning,
add an integrated modem and ethernet port too. Bump up the memory,
better backlight and a battery packing more juice ... well, one can
at least dream ;-)

Regards,
     Alex.

--
 We have gone from a world of concentrated knowledge and wisdom to one of
 distributed ignorance.  And we know and understand less while being