Re: [NTLK] Cost of ATA Support

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Mon Apr 01 2002 - 19:54:38 EST

> It seems to be slow (access times) and you can only use 4 megs unless
> you
> pay for the drivers. What gets me is the cost of the drivers, about 50
> USD
> if I did the conversion right from EU to $. I hope I am wrong on that.

   $50 !! I hope you mean that seems cheap, not that it seems
expensive. $50 seems very cheap to me. Consider that if the Newton
were still alive, and by some miracle Apple had not done there own ATA
drivers by now, and some third-party company did what Paul did (probably
with about a third as much work because they'd be able to muscle
internal information out of Apple), they'd probably charge at *least*
$100 (99.95 actually ;-) for it. True, the price comes out to about $70
(75Eu) for an multiple-Newton license with the API, but I still consider
that to be not much, considering that Paul's been working on this for at
least a year, killed two Newton's in the process (well, probbaly not
*completely* killed, but certainly not revivable without technology that
we don't have like a external flasher..)

Way to go Paul,
Jim