Re: [NTLK] Modem drivers for a Megahertz XJ 5560 56K card

From: Rolf Brakvatne (rbrak29_at_qwest.net)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 14:03:57 EST

on 4/6/02 10:29 AM, Peter Cameron at pdwc_at_sympatico.ca wrote:

>>> Doesn't it work with the 28.8 or faster driver?
>>>
>> No, it does not.
>
> Odd, all the 56K modems I've tested have worked OK with that setting,
> but I must admit I haven't tried a fast USR. Does it have an unusual command
> set? You could make a driver with Modem Modifier. Having a driver (setup)
> that sends an AT&F1 should probably do it, though you may have to check the
> manual as some use &F0 as the default.
>
> Peter

Peter,

Finally got it to work after many fits and starts.

I did download the MegaHertz package on unna from the Mhz folder in
archives. According to the readme file it should not work (for Megahertz
XJack 1144), but I tried it anyway.

It looks like this adds a Megahertz PC 56K selection to the modem section of
Prefs.

It finally dialed out, but had many connection failures after connecting to
my ISP and mail server.

It does work now, but again, I do not know why or how long.

I tried it on my Powerbook. It dialed out, but did not produce the 'normal'
modem connection sounds and then I got the standard recorded telephone voice
stating the phone call could not be made, try again later. This was with the
proper modem script selected. I never got it to work on my Powerbook. Could
be a PPP thing.

Thanks for your time and effort.

Rolf Brakvatne