Re: [NTLK] Downloading with Nethopper

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 14:04:18 EST

From: Robert Benschop <rbenschop_at_mac.com>
>So Newton Devices.pkg and/or NIE Ethernet Support.pkg won't install on a 130
>? Is this confirmed? I remember people even establishing some form of
>Ethernet connection with their 130's (but nothing useful) seems impossible
>if these packages wouldn't install at all.
>Robert Benschop

Robert, about the 130 issue, this might sound familiar? :)
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=100300832416624&w=2>

That aside, although NIE 2 won't install at all on a 130, you should be
able to get enough of the little components installed on the 130 that when
beamed to the 2100, the components allow the 2100 to connect to your
desktop via ethertalk- which only helps you if you have a Mac or the mac
emulator running on your PC. Someone just posted a day or more earlier in
this thread about about success with this method, maybe emails crossed.

And to answer Jon's other question about costs, you can pay $14 to $60 for
the ancient 10bT ethernet cards the newton needs (MP can't support 100)
depending on where you shop. You can find dongles for about that much if
you look around. Or just buy the $50-60-ish (sorry I forget the price on
the new ones) SER-001 replacement and never worry about the dongle again.

I suggest www.computer-show.com for the 3C589D for $14, if they still have
them.