Re: [NTLK] I'm back (and bad news)

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 09 2002 - 00:44:51 EDT

I was told that the x-ray machines will not harm film
under 1000-ASA. But logic dictates that if it harms
1000-ASA film, then it will also harm all other film
speeds, except not in a visually sensitive manner. I
suspect that if you run 800-ASA or even 400-ASA film
through an airport x-ray machine and then examine the
film carefully under controled labratory conditions,
you would find perhaps a not-so-insignificant
degradation in the film's imaging quality!

As far as digital components are concerned...I don't
think that it's the x-rays that cause the problem, but
the underlying motor control electronice that drive
the conveyor belt. Imagine...those motors have to be
strong enough to pull several fully loaded bags up a
slight incline. I don't know about the rest of you,
but most of my checked bags weigh in at over 75 pounds
each! The conveyor holds 4 bags on the outside, one in
the machine and 3 more on the other side. Assuming
that each bag is 50 pounds (I realize I might be
extreme) then that's over 400 pounds that that machine
must move every 30 seconds. Now my college physics
math has been long forgotten, but logic tells me that
that kind of acceleration and weight needs some very
torquey motors! Which in turn generate quite an
electrical field! Given that type of memory that most
modern computers use, I doubt though that the field
messes with them...but with the Newt? Who knows what
kind of archaic technology Apple used to create a
machine that even today is ahead of the hand-held
curve?
Ed
web/gadget guru
(my NPDS server will be going off-line to accomodate
my now Newton-less condition...)

--- Peter Cameron <pdwc_at_sympatico.ca> wrote:

> on 4/8/02 3:15 PM, Ed Kummel at tech_ed_at_yahoo.com
> wrote:
>
> > The bad news is I believe that the x-ray machine
> on
> > Kauai damaged my Newton.
>
> Damn airport security! If it kills Newts,
> imagine what it's doing to
> cameras, both digital and film, and laptop hard
> drives.
>
> Peter
>

> --
> Read the List FAQ/Etiquette: