Re: [NTLK] [OT] PayPal gripes

From: Mark Ross (markr13_at_comcast.net)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 05:43:53 EDT

>Adding to all the other 'weirdness' - PayPal will ONLY verify information
>from a credit card, and NOT from your bank account. We stopped using
>plastic about two months after setting up a PayPal account almost two years
>ago - now they won't let me change a damn thing (like our new address) and
>have it be verified. This is after several phone calls.
>
>I too only kept the account open for the SER-001. I am going to nuke that
>bad boy the moment it is in my hands.
>
>I pay straight cash for everything else that I do, don't even have a
>personal bank account anymore just business. From mow on if someone won't
>take cash/MO/Certified then screw 'em. I am very tired of having all my
>personal financial information in the hands of faceless strangers. The IRS
>is bad enough.
>
>Paul Nuernberger

As one who takes credit cards, PayPal and used to take checks and MO's,
I'd like to weigh in. For the merchant, cards and PayPal are far easier
to deal with. You get paid within days and you don't have to worry about
checks clearing. When we used to take checks and MO's, most of the time
people would fill in the mail in form and then never mail it. I'd wait
and dun these people only to find out that they would change their minds
or forget. It was such a hassle that we stopped taking checks and MO's
as a form of payment. I suspect that most merchants on the web have had
a similar experience and discontinued the practice as well.

Mark Ross
markr13_at_comcast.net