Re: [NTLK] [OT] PayPal gripes

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 09:06:39 EDT

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Mark Ross wrote:

> As one who takes credit cards, PayPal and used to take checks and MO's,
> I'd like to weigh in. For the merchant, cards and PayPal are far easier
> to deal with. You get paid within days and you don't have to worry about
> checks clearing. When we used to take checks and MO's, most of the time
> people would fill in the mail in form and then never mail it. I'd wait
> and dun these people only to find out that they would change their minds
> or forget. It was such a hassle that we stopped taking checks and MO's
> as a form of payment. I suspect that most merchants on the web have had
> a similar experience and discontinued the practice as well.

Yup, that's pretty much my experience too. Of all the times I've given
out my mailing address for someone to pay with cash or MO, I've actually
gotten it about 1/4 of the time.

Additionally, a while ago I tried to sign up for a Kagi account... mailed
in my paper contract and everything, and never heard a peep again. Last
week they sent me the Kagi newsletter - but they never gave me an account!
I should look into getting them to fix that, because Kagi is a widely
respected company.