Re: [NTLK] [OT] PayPal gripes

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 13:06:01 EDT

    I have not had a credit card for six years. I paid all of them off then
and have paid cash (cash, cheque, money order or debit) for everything
since.
    Since most of the purchases I make via MO are international I also have
the exchange rate to consider. I get a much better exchange rate from the
bank when buying an MO than I ever did with a credit card. I also know
exactly what I've paid and don't find out a month later than they've used an
exchange rate that has cost me 10 points more.
    I have used money orders to buy items from eBay, newsgroup vendors, Kagi
and various other companies with no problems (other than postal service
delays, but those work both ways). I always paid for my NuShields by MO, but
I guess if the policy has changed there the current package I have will be
my last.
    I realize I am probably an oddity in preferring to do things this way,
but I haven't had any complaints from vendors and I know my credit card
isn't being plundered.

Peter