Re: [NTLK] Newtonbook-->Palm ?

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Sun Apr 14 2002 - 22:12:50 EDT

> Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 08:58:39 -0700 (PDT)
> From: eric engle <engleerica_at_yahoo.com>
>

> I have a question: Is there any way to read a
> newtonbook on a palm? I do not think so and have
> written a Prof. Brown (Boston) who had that as a
> project for his students to ask.

not directly. if you don't have the orignal source doc, there is a way to
extract the text of a Newton book (Newt's Cape can save any book as crude
HTML), and from that you could create a Palm book using DOC creation tools.

(and going the other way, Newt's Cape's PilotDOC plugin can convert simple
Palm DOC books directly to plain text Newton books)

> I am asking because now that I have newtonpress (wow!
> MUCH better than paperback!) I am planning on
> converting lots of law books into newton format. Sadly
> I note that I am the only person at my law school
> (aside from my girlfriend) who has a newton (or other
> pda!) OTOH that means that we have a 100% newt rate...
>
> Any ideas or links to information on the newtonbook
> data format and the palmbook data format are
> appreciated. If it were just a matter of writting a
> basic parser I could do that. But I have neither the
> newtonbook nor the palm doc's format.

easiest if you use an original source document to create various
distribution formats (DOC, NewtonBook, etc.) -- and not try to convert
between those formats...

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com